Nec ?

Old 12-06-04, 01:41 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Nec ?

What does article 370 mean by cablebus? I am reading the 300's and was a little confused. At first I thought it was the busbar in the service panel. But then it describes the cablebus as being installed through floor. Is it a raceway? What is it?

Thanks guys!

Old 12-06-04, 05:34 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Any takers?

Old 12-06-04, 05:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face Definition 96 NEC Handbook

Art. 365-1, Cablebus is an assembly of insulated conductors with fittings and conductor terminations in a completely enclosed, ventilated protective metal housing. etc.....

I've seen cable tray on large commercial industrial jobs but have never actually seen an application of Cablebus. We have never used it for any commercial work that I've been involved with.

Old 12-06-04, 05:39 PM
J
There's also a picture of it here in the 96 NEC handbook on page 331.
I'ld like to see where this would be used....

Old 12-06-04, 05:41 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I have the 2002 NEC, probably the difference in section number.

Anyway, they ask two questions from it on a homeowner's test in my area. If it isn't relavent, why on a homeowner's test?

So it's just a big metal pipe with stress relief fittings on both ends?

Old 12-06-04, 05:52 PM
J
It actually looks very similar to a cabletray installation. It looks like a metal tray that the conductors are laid in but there are spacers between the conductors. I can't imagine why this would be on a homeowners test?

This looks like something they'ld use at a l;arge industrial complex or at NASA or something.....

Old 12-06-04, 09:13 PM
Old 12-07-04, 07:16 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ron. That is exactly what I wanted to know!

Old 12-08-04, 01:08 PM
W
Skyking,

I was wondering if you could describe this 'homeowners' test. I presume it is a test that you need to take to get an electrical permit as a home-owner rather than as an electrician?

Most areas don't have this sort of testing, and I'm sure many of us are curious how it works.

-Jon

Old 12-08-04, 02:15 PM
Homeowners Test

Originally Posted by winnie
Skyking,

I was wondering if you could describe this 'homeowners' test. I presume it is a test that you need to take to get an electrical permit as a home-owner rather than as an electrician?

Most areas don't have this sort of testing, and I'm sure many of us are curious how it works.

-Jon
Montgomery County Maryland, as one example will issue a permit to the owner of an owner occupied home if they can pass an examination based on the Electrical Code for One and Two Family Dwellings.

Anyone who placed a question about cable buss on a homeowners exam is obviously hostile to homeowner electrical work.
--
Tom

Old 12-08-04, 06:01 PM
SkyKing
Visiting Guest
I think the problem I'm experiencing with the cable bus is that the test is built on the 1999 NEC and I'm reading the 2002 NEC. I would venture a guess that the 1999 NEC section 370 is actually on NM-B, but I have no proof.

Anyway, the test is fairly basic. You don't actually need to read the NEC to take it, but I wanted to learn about electrical work in more depth than an average DIYer. I feel that trade skills are too often common knowlege if you work in the proffession. The simplest questions seem to be fleeting to find a solid answer for. That is why this forum is a great avenue for DIYer's. The cumulative years of experience on this site is excellent!

Old 12-08-04, 06:42 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Article 370 in the 1999 NEC is "Outlet, Device, Pull, and Junction Boxes; Conduit Bodies; Fittings; and Manholes". This is covered in Article 314 in the 2002 NEC.

Article 370 in the 2002 NEC is "Cablebus" which is covered in Article 365 in the 1999 NEC.

If you have the 2002 NEC, I think you'll find Appendix F helpful here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: