Lighted Switch

Old 12-06-04, 01:01 PM
minncush
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Lighted Switch

I bought a house that has a light switch that is on when the room light is off. I would like to change it that when the room light is on, the switch light is on. Do I need a new switch or change the wiring?

Old 12-06-04, 02:09 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need a different switch. I might assume that you are installing this switch somewhere other than in the room, since having the lighted switch illuminated when the room is dark is more useful when the switch is in the same room. If my assumption is incorrect, then tell me why you want this somewhat unusual method of operation.

In any event, you need a different switch. You probably want a "pilot light" switch. These switches turn on a pilot light (usually a round red light below the lever) when the light is on.

Old 12-06-04, 02:24 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You MAY be able to use the switch. The lighted switch that I bought included directions for wiring either way. In fact, you could even have it always lighted if you wanted to.

Examine the switch, and possibly go to the manufacturers web site to determine what type of switch you have.

Old 12-06-04, 02:28 PM
J
Thanks Bob. Can you tell us the make and model of this switch that can be wired either way?

Old 12-06-04, 02:48 PM
minncush
Visiting Guest
Smile Lighted switch

The switch is outside the room. The reason I want the switch lighted when the room light is on, is to let me know the room light is on. Now it is lighted when the room light is off.
It seems more reasonable (to me) that a lighted switch means the room light is on.

Old 12-06-04, 02:52 PM
J
The reason most people use illuminated switches is so that they can find the switch in the dark. So having it illuminated when the light is on does not serve that purpose.

Most people who are looking for the reverse operation are concerned about the lights in the garage being left on when nobody's in there.

Old 12-06-04, 04:41 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
You need to post info about the switch and the wires in the box. If this is a switch loop it might not be possible to do what you are asking. Pilot light need a neutral I think.

Old 12-06-04, 04:52 PM
J
A lot of pilot lights don't need a neutral because they just put a very low resistance light in series with the load.

Old 12-06-04, 05:03 PM
minncush
Visiting Guest
Lighted switch

black wire to dark brass, white to silver screw and green to green screw. Also switch grounded to metal box. This is from memory when I opened box last week.

Old 12-06-04, 05:12 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
John,

You're making me go crazy. I cannot find what I am looking for on the web, and I don't really want to open the box and look at the switches I have, but I may just do that. Maybe I still have the documentation that came with them.

Old 12-07-04, 08:27 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The Hubbell 1221pl is a light on with load on pilot light switch no neutral required.
http://63.90.33.38/wiring/section-c-...s&PN=HBL1221PL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: