need help wiring a pilot switch

Old 12-06-04, 07:24 PM
vas
Visiting Guest
need help wiring a pilot switch

Hi, I want to install a pilot switch, but something is not right here. At one time there was a pilot switch in the box, the light was on when the power was on. (thats what I want) It was an old switch so I hooked up a single throw.
I was so used to having that little light there, so I bought a new pilot switch. The only wires coming out of the receptacle are 2 hot black wires. The ground wire is attached to the back of the box. I don't remember how the original pilot light was wired, so I can't compare it. I Looked through some of my books and the internet, and can only find wiring diagrams for pilot lights using a neutral wire. So, is it possible to wire this one? Was the original hooked wired incorrectly? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

By the way, this box is at the end of a circuit.

Old 12-06-04, 07:38 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did the new switch come with any instructions? Can you tell us the manufacturer and model? Can you tell us how many wires are in the box? What does the switch control?

Old 12-07-04, 02:17 PM
vas
Visiting Guest
The brand name is Pass & seymour Legrand. The instructions for having it wired as pilot light is as follows: The hot wire is attached to the lower left brass screw. The white "load" wire is attached to BOTH upper and lower brass screws on the right, and is also attached to the silver screw on the top left (above the hot wire)
What gets me is there was a pilot light hooked up before. The only wires in the box are the 2 black "hot" wires. I hope I explained it right. Thanks

Old 12-07-04, 02:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Some pilot light switches require a neutral. Some do not. You bought the kind that does require one, but have a box which doesn't have one. You need a different switch.

Old 12-07-04, 03:37 PM
vas
Visiting Guest
I see. Well, thanks for your time.

Vas

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: