Adding another light and outlet

Old 12-07-04, 05:40 AM
J
jetsfan68
Visiting Guest
Adding another light and outlet

I'd like to add another light and outlet in my basement... Right now there is one porcelain fixture located in the left ceiling joists. I'd like to add another light fixture on the right side (about 4 feet away from the other light) and then add an outlet on the right wall of the basement.
Is it safe to splice into the one porcelain fixture and add the light and outlet??
I'd imagine the light it OK- but will the outlet draw too much current?
I also get confused with which wires to use for the light vs. the outlet if someone can refer me to simple electrical connections.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-04, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes it is probably safe. My only question is are the lights controlled from a switch somwhere else, or are they the pull chain variety. If not the pull chain variety, the outlet will switch on and off with the lights.

Old 12-07-04, 07:01 AM
J
jetsfan68
Visiting Guest
The light is controlled now with a switch at top of stairs...

Old 12-07-04, 07:09 AM
J
The details depend on how it is wired now. There is more than just one way. Shut off the breaker and look at the wiring at the light. Are there just one black wire and one white wire, or more than one of each color? Is there just one switch controlling this light, or is there another switch at the bottom of the stairs? Is there just one light controlled by this switch, or more than one light?

I recommend you pick up a book on home wiring, one with plenty of colorful pictures. If you don't want to buy one at your home center, you can check one out at your library.

Old 12-07-04, 11:03 AM
J
jetsfan68
Visiting Guest
Thanks John- Just one black and one white wire in the existing light box- I'm guessing I could tap off that and wire one light fixture... and then run another cable down the wall to feed one more outlet- The outlet would just be used to plug in a TV or radio....

Old 12-07-04, 11:15 AM
T
Outlets don't draw any power... what you plug into the outlet draws power.

That said, if all you have in the light box is a black and a white wire, you can of course extend them to an outlet, but that outlet will only work when the light is on. You have a switched circuit at the light (that's why the light only turn on when you turn the switch on). If you want to add another outlet you'll need to find another source of power (another outlet most likely).

Adding another light controlled by the same switch is not a problem.