Installing thermostat

Old 12-07-04, 08:15 AM
Emery
Visiting Guest
Installing thermostat

How do I connect wires to thermostat and electrical radiator.

I ahve a 12-2 wire from power source, and one 12-2 wire from radiator both to thermostat. thermostat has two black wires and two red wires.

Old 12-07-04, 11:00 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All tstats I've seen had installation instructions.
I'm not sure of the color, but 2 of the wires are in, and 2 are out on the tstat. It should say on the tstat itself.

The in (line) wires connect to the source conductors. The out (load) conductors go to the radiator). The supply has to go from the breaker to the Tstat, then to the radiator. If the supply goes to the radiator first you will need 2 12-2 lines between the radiator and the Tstat.

I assume we're talking about a 220V radiator, a 2-pole 220V Tstat and of course a 220V supply (2-pole breaker).

Please confirm what you have first before you start anything. You don't want to short a 220V line.

Old 12-07-04, 12:44 PM
Emery
Visiting Guest
installing thermostat

Thank you trinitro for prompt reply.
I am relocating used thermostat. Previous connections had other baseboard heaters on the circuit. Now i will have only one heater (2000w).(220v)
I am assuming that power source will be connected to one side of this 2 pole tstat(one black and one red wire). I will join wire from rad to the right side of the tstat ( the other black and red wires)?????

Old 12-07-04, 01:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Almost. The line connects to either the black OR the red wires on the T-stat. Not to one of each. I believe the black is the line, and the red is the load, but double check the writings on the Tstat.

Old 12-07-04, 03:31 PM
Emery
Visiting Guest
installing thermostat

Thank you trinitro... your instructions worked as expected.
This is a great website...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: