new 200 amp service

Old 12-08-04, 12:24 PM
jw569
Visiting Guest
new 200 amp service

First this site is a valuable resource. Ok i'm replacing my old 100 amp service with a new 200 amp service. Is there anything I should watch out for and what's the best way to ground the new panel to code? Thanks from california

Old 12-08-04, 01:55 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Going from a 100A service to a 200A service will usually require a new main panel, a new meter socket and new wiring between the panel and socket, and between the socket and utility drop.
You'll also probably need a grounding rod (to ground the meter socket enclosure).

Old 12-08-04, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Generally a complete service replacement is NOT considered a DIY job. A question like "What is the best way to ground it?" leads us to assume you are not up on the codes you need to know to do this job. Kind of like me saying to my accountant; "I want to do my own taxes and itemize, any rules I should know about?". Only a few hundred.

There are many codes involved and if something goes wrong you are without power until it is corrected. The whole job MUST be inspected and the POCO will not restore power until it is.

If you insist this is something you want to do this site will give you some guidance:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homew...eter/index.htm

Old 12-10-04, 12:05 PM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Speedy Petey,

I really liked your accounting analogy. That is the most clear comparison an electrical code junky can give a lay person to sum up the complexity of the NEC.

Say, I see you're from upstate NY. Whereabouts?

Juice

Old 12-10-04, 12:22 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Or maybe, "I'm going to do my own brain surgery; where do I stick the scalpel?"

Old 12-10-04, 02:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I like John's better.

I'm from the NE corner of Ulster County. Let's just say near the town full of pseudo-hippies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: