service wire question

Old 12-08-04, 02:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
service wire question

our incoming wire is the old cloth covered type and needs to be replaced. our wire comes straight down into the house the goes about a foot to the right to the meter then another half foot to the service panel. on rainy/windy days the wire itself becomes saturated and where it enters the meter is rusty. the other side of the meter going to the service panel looks fine. my question is what kind of job should this be considered? I had an electrician out to estimate and he seemed like a crook. He told me my panel box was only 60 amp and neeeded to be upgraded. i showed him my original inspection that said it was 200 amp service and he said the inspection was wrong. then he said he was going to have to install hard wired smoke detectors (code in our town when electrical work is done) when I said we already had them he said we didn't without even looking until i dragged him over to the one in the basement to show him. sorry for all this unneccessary info just wanted to let everyone know why i'm not eager to have another estimate done.
All in all he said the entire job would be around $2000. not including the hard wired smoke detectors. (that we don't need)
is this accurate to replace a wire? it seems pretty steep?
Old 12-08-04, 02:49 PM
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,860
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would replace the meter socket and wiring from the service drop to the socket, and from the socket to the main panel. If the main panel is 200A then there is no need to replace it, unless it's very old. If the socket is relatively new and not rusted there is no need to replace it.

I find it add however that you have a 200A service, yet you have old SE cable in need of replacement.

What is the main breaker's rating in the panel?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: