Blue Xmas..GFCI outlet keeps tripping off

Old 12-07-04, 09:55 PM
Canucker
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Blue Xmas..GFCI outlet keeps tripping off

Hi,
New to the website! Question: I hung up the exterior xmas lights and plugged them into the GFCI. it stayed on for 5 minutes then poof...gone..I could reset but again it only works for 5 mins or less!! Any ideas?Cheers from Canada

Old 12-08-04, 04:42 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
try plugging something else in and see if it stays on. If it does stay on then replace the lights.

Old 12-08-04, 06:57 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What tripped? Did you reset a GFCI receptacle, a GFCI circuit breaker, or an ordinary circuit breaker?

And exactly how many lights are we talking about here?

Old 12-08-04, 04:34 PM
Canucker
Visiting Guest
I should have mentioned the ammount of lights!! NO.its not a Clarke Griswold!! only 3 strings..and it is a GFCI outlet..standard outside wall one..
Question: if the electrical cord in the string of lights is damaged..i.e. by an errant staple..could this cause it to fault after a few minutes??
p.s. thanks for ur replies. Update.. I plugged in a smaller set of lights and also a small jig..the saw worked fine then after I stopped about 1 minute it tripped again..hmmm

Last edited by Canucker; 12-08-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-08-04, 04:57 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So is it the GFCI receptacle into which the bulbs are plugged that trips? If so, then yes, a staple could cause this. So could moisture. Is there snow or rain or high humidity where you live? Are the lights rated as exterior?

Old 12-09-04, 01:33 PM
Canucker
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by racraft
try plugging something else in and see if it stays on. If it does stay on then replace the lights.
Ok..i tried some other lights and a small saw! it tripped about 1 minute after both things worked!
prhaps i should replace the entire outlet?

Old 12-10-04, 11:03 AM
Canucker
Visiting Guest
Smile Success!!

Yeaaaah! After some trial and error, it was determined to be the actual GFI outlet..I switched one from another part of the house and it works fine...Let it snow let it snow let it snow!!!
thx for all your help,
Canucker..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: