Replaced receptacle but it still does not work

Old 12-11-04, 01:02 PM
knightsrus
Visiting Guest
Replaced receptacle but it still does not work

I have an outside receptacle that quit working so I replaced it with a new one. I also have a cheap voltage meter that checks the "hot" current and it shows that the receptacle has power. I replaced the receptacle again and it still does not work. It is associated to a GFCI outlet but I have reset it and it is working fine. As for as I can tell there are only 3 outlets that go back to the circuit box for this circuit and the other 2 work fine. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-04, 02:08 PM
Is this a "tick" tester that flashes and beeps when you hold it next to a hot wire?

If there is a hot wire present, but there is no power available, then the neutral is open. Somewhere on this circuit, a white wire is making a poor connection. It's obviously not in this box, so start searching nearby boxes, even boxes containing receptacles that are working just fine. Look carefully at any wires poked into holes. Pull on them to see if they are secure.

Old 12-12-04, 11:17 AM
knightsrus
Visiting Guest
Yes it is a "tick" tester

I will take a look at the neutral wires and see if I can find a problem. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks!

Old 12-12-04, 08:35 PM
knightsrus
Visiting Guest
Found it!

I went to one of the outlets and sure enough the white wire was loose. I reattached and bingo, the other outlet works!

Thanks from a real novice!