Running line temporarily


Old 12-12-04, 09:44 PM
papi's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 153
Running line temporarily

Hi friends, I need to cut the power to two bedrooms [ lights and receptacles are in the same circuit] in the second floor of the house i dont know exactely for how long maybe four weeks,my question is there a SAFE way to run a 120V 15 amp line outside the walls to provide some basic power ?
Ideas much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-04, 10:13 PM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 719
How about a 12 gauge extension cord.
If you want safety plug it into a GFI.
Old 12-12-04, 10:37 PM
papi's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 153
Thanks GWIZ i thought of it but notwithstanding i need a second extension for the other room dont know how safe or 'legal' this is.on the other hand if an extention cord is ok how about running some NM securely staple to the walls to some surface receptacles? or NM inside some 1/2'' PVC?
Old 12-13-04, 03:07 AM
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 719
I can only give you things to look into. or a logical view.

The only persons that can answer. "is it Legal".
A certified electrician licensed to your city.
Or maybe your city electrical inspector.

I helped an electrician with new construction, a long time back. I'm not an electrician.
One city, we used NM cable in the walls.
The next city (only 10 miles away) required, that we can not use NM. we had to use aluminum Flex conduit through the building.
Other city required 12 ga. for lights not 14ga.

NM cable is not allowed inside any conduit. it would prevent the wires from dissipating heat.

Looking at it logically
If you staple the wire to the walls.
And say a fire starts from something other than an electrical fire.
The first thing people see is wires melted on the walls. It will take you a long time to convince any one that's not what started the fire.

I don't think they allow open wires in garages any more.
Flex or sheetrock over NM

I would think that if something happens, an extension cord would not look as suspicious.
Maybe hang the cord on the wall.

The proper use of an extension cord is to supply temporary power (that is legal)
You just need to size the cord for the job.

An 12 gauge extension cord 50 feet long should be good for 15 amps.( Look at the package for specs on the cord).
get a cord that has two receptacles at the end. and feed the two rooms.
Use a GFI to feed the cord.

If you pull more then 15 amps your just going to trip the breaker.

Just running 4 lights and 2 TVs would be about 600 watts.
15 amps is about 1800 watts.

How much temporary power will you need for two rooms?

When ever I use an extension cord and pull over 10 amps for a long period of time.
I feel the ends of the cords for heat. that will indicate a bad connection.
The molded ends do not hold up. I replace them with a box and 20 amp receptacles

I'm not saying extension cords are not safe.
I do not trust anything I Buy any more. no quality any more.

Sorry I did give you a firm answer.
Maybe someone can add more information.
Old 12-13-04, 05:35 AM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Just use a good quality extension cord. It does not need to be 12 gauge or even 14 gauge, unless you intend to pull a heavy load through it. I do suggest to use an extension cord of the appropriate length. If you need 40 feet, for example, don't use a 100 foot extension cord.

As far as replacing the ends of an extension cord, I don't recommend this. You will void the UL rating of the extension cord. The molded plugs on the cords are fine. They are designed and tested for the maximum load through the cable.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes