Remodeling in attic

Old 12-13-04, 11:00 AM
Tman
Visiting Guest
Remodeling in attic

My question deals with what to do with electrical cables in the way while remodeling unfinished attic space. The wires are directly on top of the floor joists that I plan to lay subflooring. What is the best way to move or re-route the cables? Note: the floor joists are I-joists with MDF center and 2"X2" bottom and top.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-04, 12:01 PM
The I-joists probably have knockouts. Knock them out and run the cable through. Be sure not to bury any splices or junction boxes under the floor.

Old 12-14-04, 03:26 PM
Tman
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I was referring to the existing cables not the new cables. If I put a splice box above the floor then I will need two boxes with the new cable in the middle since the existing cable has no extra slack. Or are you suggesting disconnecting the cables from the wall switches/outlets and re-running throught the knock-outs? I would rather not disconnect any wires, but if that is the best way then so be it.

Thanks,

Old 12-14-04, 04:09 PM
You should disconnect the cables and re run them. This is the only way to get the existing wires through the knockouts. This may mean new wires are needed, as you usually cannot pull the existing wires out of the walls. And as you say, adding junction boxes requires two boxes and that means they have to be accessible, etc.