Hot Light Fixture

Old 12-14-04, 08:02 AM
vtm
Hot Light Fixture

We have a 2-light fixture in a bathroom. I just changed the bulbs and glass shades (like those that go on ceiling fans fixtures) on the fixture. When I did that, I noticed the fixture was a little loose from the wall. Therefore, I tighted the brass nut in the middle of the fixture.

That evening, we noticed what seemed to be an electrical smell. Additionally, the fixture, near the bulbs was pretty warm. We only noticed the smell if the light was on for awhile and the bathroom door was closed. I first thought that it could be the wattage of the bulbs. Even though the fixture has a sticker for 100 watt max bulbs, I took the 60 watt bulbs out and put 40s in. The fixture did not get as hot, however, we still seemed to notice the smell.

Now I am thinking a loose connection that got worse when I tightened the fixture. However, if the loose connection was inside the box behind the fixture, I would have thought that the fixture next to the wall would be hot. Instead it is the ends of the fixture where the lights screw in. I cannot feel any heat in the fixture next to the wall.

Could this still be a loose connection in the box behind the wall or is it a problem in the fixture? Is it best just to assume it is the fixture and just replace and tighten everything up?

Thanks,

Vic

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 08:23 AM
Light bulbs get really hot. If the heat is near the bulbs but not near the wall, then it's probably okay. If you are still nervous, shut off the breaker, pull out the fixture, and inspect and tighten all the connections.

I'm not sure I have an explanation for your new smell. It's possible that you pinched one of the wires when you tightened the fixtures. Although I'm not sure how that could make the smell. Again, shut off the breaker, pull out the fixture, and look for burn marks on the insulation.

Old 12-16-04, 03:25 AM
vtm
Hot Light Fixture

OK it might be possessed.

I previously mentioned the heat and smell associated with this light fixture after I tighted it back against the wall, even with the 40 watt bulbs. Last night I had that light on... and nothing. The fixture only got a little bit warm and no smell at all (at least that I could detect).

It is very strange because I hadn't done anything to the fixture. I was going to shut off the power and open everything up last night, however, it seemed to be fine. Well, I still think there's got to be a bad connection in or behind the fixture somewhere. I still plan to tighten everything up. I may still replace the fixture... just in case the heat and smell caused wire problems inside the fixture.

Thanks again,

Vic