GFCI outlets

Old 12-14-04, 09:10 AM
billyjack
Visiting Guest
GFCI outlets

I am in the final stages of mapping out this polebarn/garage/workshop.
Since it is a rather large building and feel the need to have a large number of 20 amp outlets. At the same I also realize the safety factor of GFCI outlets.
The question is. In a long circuit run, with up to 8 duplex outlets, can I use more than one GFCI and have all outlets protected. My understanding is that one GFCI will protect three more outlets downstream. Putting my question another way can I do the following and have protection ?
GFCI ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~
GFCI ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ( end of run ) BTW these are all 20 amp GFCI's
In addition can I do the following and have protection on a switch and lite fixture ?
GFCI ~ SWITCH ~ LITE ~ LITE ?
One more thing. I realize the need to have sufficent 20 amp outlets.
Does this make sense ? or is it overkill
Workshop with workbenches on oposite sides of the room.
Four duplex outlets at each workbench.
Two seperate circuits feeding the two benches
Two duplexs on each workbench on seperate 20 amp breakers ( with other devices on these circuits also, within limits ) In otherwords each workbench would have four duplex outlets fed by two seperate breakers
BTW thanks to all who have provided information on previous recent threads on this project. It has all been very helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 09:24 AM
can I use more than one GFCI and have all outlets protected
Yes, but you can use just one and also have all the outlets protected.

My understanding is that one GFCI will protect three more outlets downstream
This is not a restriction of either code or of most GFCI manufacturers. I believe you have have heard some "folk wisdom".

GFCI ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ GFCI ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ~ PROTECTED OUTLET ( end of run )
Even if there was a three-outlet restriction, this would not help any because there are still six outlet downstream of the first GFCI.

In addition can I do the following and have protection on a switch and lite fixture ? GFCI ~ SWITCH ~ LITE ~ LITE ?
Yes, but it is not common to GFCI protect a light.

Does this make sense ? or is it overkill
When it comes to workshops, it's hard to overkill. A $5 circuit breaker is a cheap price for another circuit. Two 20-amp circuits is by no means overkill for a workshop. But unless you will be working on both workbenches at the same time, you could use the same two circuits for both workbenches.

Old 12-14-04, 02:20 PM
John has covered your questions. I do have one comment. You don't really need to use 20 amp receptacles. You certainly can do so, procided you are using 20 amp breakers, but unless you have specific devices that have 20 amp plugs, I would just use 15 amp receptacles.

Old 12-14-04, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
John has covered your questions. I do have one comment. You don't really need to use 20 amp receptacles. You certainly can do so, procided you are using 20 amp breakers, but unless you have specific devices that have 20 amp plugs, I would just use 15 amp receptacles.
Unless you live in Canada. You must match the receptacle to the breaekr size.