Conduit run along outside wall of house

Old 12-14-04, 11:52 AM
ElDerfo
Visiting Guest
Conduit run along outside wall of house

Greetings. I am installing a generator on the side of my house. My meter and transfer switch are on the back of my house. I'd like to connect the transfer switch to the generator via PVC conduit anchored to the outside wall of the house. I have 2 questions:

1. Is there a minimum allowable height for the conduit?
2. There is a doorwall along the proposed conduit run. Is it permissible for the conduit to pass beneath the doorwall?

Thank you.

Old 12-14-04, 08:56 PM
P Michael
Visiting Guest
1] There is no minimum height for conduit.
2] What is a "doorwall"? Assuming that it is a door, it would depend on the potential for damage. Perhaps a bit of wood construction to protect the conduit under the door area would be in order.
~Peter

Old 12-14-04, 09:08 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A "doorwall" is what most of us would probably call a "sliding glass door". I assume that beneath the doorwall implies that there is a slight step down and you would run the conduit in that corner below the step. There is no electrical issue with this approach, but might it be a tripping hazard?

Old 12-15-04, 08:03 AM
ElDerfo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your replies. Yes, a doorwall is a sliding glass door (perhaps it's a regional term - Michigan). The tripping hazard that John mentioned is the reason why I was wondering it it's permissible. There is a cement stoop under the door that extends about 2 inches beyond the brick. I figure that I'd run the conduit directly under the overhang of the stoop (about 1 foot above grade), which would alleviate any tripping hazard. Thank you P Michael and John Nelson for taking the time to help me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: