buying a new electric oven

Old 12-14-04, 08:57 PM
chowyunfat2000
Visiting Guest
buying a new electric oven

Hi,
My old electric oven just broke and I need to buy a new one.
Question is how do I know which one my electric outlet will support?

This is the information that is on the old oven:

10.6 KW 8.2
120/240 V 120/208 V

and on the electric box where the switch for the oven is, read 50.

The model of the oven is ge jbs16.

Can someone tell me what to look for when I buy a new one?

Also, it seems that this unit the electric line was directly connected to the stove. Is it hard to put an electric outlet ?

Thanks for any help.
-Arthur

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-04, 11:06 AM
Most electric ranges are designed for a 50 amp circuit. That'll make it easy for you to choose almost any type/brand/features/price preference you have.

It is not hard to put in a new range receptacle. I personally prefer it. They are usually surface mount, so no wall-cutting, and you have enough wire sticking out of the wall now to be able to hook it up. Also, there is a large recess at the back bottom of ranges to fit around the surface-mount receptacle and still be able to push your range all the way against the wall without hitting the recep. Your range is probably a 3-wire, two hots, one neutral, and no ground. That used to pass code years ago, but not now. Today's code says you have to also carry the ground (4-conductor cable now). But there again you're in luck. Code says if you are replacing a device "in-kind" (old range for new range), and not modifying the original circuit (the breaker or wire) in any way, you do not have to bring your range circuit up to today's code and can hook the new range up to the existing ccircuit. I believe you can still buy a 3-prong range receptacle and a 3-prong "whip", which is sort of a 3-foot long extension cord on steroids, with a male end on one side and three brass terminal rings on the other, where you screw the leads onto a terminal block on your new range. But it's been years since I worked in appliances and I haven't seen what's out there lately for your receptacle and whip. (Most new 220 appliances come without a whip - you have to buy it separately.) One word of caution - make sure your circuit breaker is the correct one and is definitely turned off. 220 make a heluva big bang when you short it.

Also, note that dryer whips look very much like range whips, but the prong configuration is different. The package will indicate which it is.

Hope that helps.

Juice

Old 12-15-04, 09:39 PM
chowyunfat2000
Visiting Guest
hi,
just want to say thanks for the info.

happy holidays,
arthur

Old 12-18-04, 10:52 AM
chowyunfat2000
Visiting Guest
hooking up wire directly to oven

HI,
I just got the oven in and I was looking at the installation instructions.

There was an option to hook it up the wire directly to the stove.

similiar to page 6 in this pdf:
http://www.roperappliances.com/data/9759923.pdf

I know this wire is an aluminum wire.

my question is I am looking at the wire and I see the following,
1 insulated red
1 insulated black
and a bunch of little wires

click this link to see a picture:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chowyu...03.jpg&.src=ph

My question is:
1) is there any problem with hooking it directly to the oven instead of installing a plug?

2) I assume the bunch of little wires is the white/netural wire. Do I bunch these up together and put electric tape around it then install it in the center?

Thanks for any help
arthur