Grounding of a new 100 amp sub panel

Old 12-14-04, 09:07 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding of a new 100 amp sub panel

I am installing a new 100 amp main lug sub in a new workshop/garage. I am running 2-2-2-4 SER from the main service panel. I will leave the sub un-bonded and plan on tying the neutral and ground to separate busbars in the new sub (even though the neutrals and grounds were run together originally in the main). My question is do I need to run a new ground to a new set of ground rods for the sub OR can I run a new copper ground back to the existing rods used for the main OR do I need to run a separate ground at all? The new panel is approximately 40 feet from the main.

Can you ever have too many grounds??

The new sub is in the garage which is attached to the main residence.

Old 12-14-04, 09:13 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can have too many grounds. Well, you can if they are not all interconnected.

Each building needs its own grounding rod(s). But since your garage is attached, do not add any more grounding rods. The grounding wire between the panels (which is technically an Equipment Grounding Conductor) is all the grounding (actually "bonding") you need.

Old 12-15-04, 03:56 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
[\QUOTE]I will leave the sub un-bonded and plan on tying the neutral and ground to separate busbars in the new sub (even though the neutrals and grounds were run together originally in the main).
Can you ever have too many grounds??[/QUOTE]

Bond the sub panel to the equipment grounding bar, not the neutral bar in the sub panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: