3 way 4 way switch questions

Old 12-15-04, 09:34 AM
Visiting Guest
3 way 4 way switch questions

I just replaced all of the switches on my first floor. I knew I had 3 way switches but didn't realize I had 4 ways as well. All I did was replace the old switches, none of them were 4 way switches, all 3 way or singles. None of the switches had more than three wires attached.

My questions; Is this okay? Is the fourth poll being taken care of by one of the wire nut connections in the box?

Everything seems to function correctly but I am curious because after I figured out I had 4 way switches I did a little reading and it doesn't jive with what I see in my home.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-04, 09:48 AM
Yes, it's okay.

Is the fourth poll being taken care of by one of the wire nut connections in the box?
I can't answer this because the question doesn't make any sense.

I knew I had 3 way switches but didn't realize I had 4 ways as well. All I did was replace the old switches, none of them were 4 way switches, all 3 way or singles.
These two sentences seem to directly contradict each other. Please clarify. Do you have 4-way switches that you didn't replace when you replaced the other switches? If so, why did you replace the others but not the 4-way switches?

Old 12-15-04, 11:27 AM
Visiting Guest
sorry for confusion

John sorry for the confusion, it seem to make sense the when I wrote it the first time but reading now

What I was trying to say was that I have one light fixtures controled by 3 switches, and when I replaced the switches none of them were a 4 way. I was concerned that something was incorrect, but thinking about it now I didn't replace the switches at the top of the stairs and those are probably the 4 ways. Does that make sense?

I think I'm okay???

Thanks again.

Old 12-15-04, 11:34 AM
I have one light fixtures controled by 3 switches, and when I replaced the switches none of them were a 4 way
That's not possible, at least not if they worked correctly. One of them must be a 4-way.

but thinking about it now I didn't replace the switches at the top of the stairs and those are probably the 4 ways
That's a reasonable guess.