Patching Outdoor Wiring

Old 12-15-04, 01:33 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patching Outdoor Wiring

Earlier this summer, my brother and I built a three season porch attached to our garage. When the concrete slab was poured for the base, one of the concrete masons accidentally cliped the cable that fed power to a storage shed/workshop. At the time, the shed wasn't used for anything besides storage, so the wire was capped and moved out of the way. The porch is finally finished now (after several materials delays), and I'd like to get back out to the workshop to work on a few projects this winter. Before I can do that, I need to get some power out there. I've done my share of wiring before, everything from replacing outlets and switches to adding new circuits to replacing a sub-panel, but it's all been indoors, where you put a splice in a box with a blank faceplate. Is the procedure similar outdoors? I've been searching all morning, but couldn't find anything that helped. The wire that's in the ground now is 10/2 rated for direct burial. Do outdoor splices have to be accessible in junction boxes just like indoor splices, or can they be buried? If they need to be accessible, could I run the cables into some conduit and a weathertight box attached to the porch? Or maybe it would be easier to just run a new cable from the sub-panel? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Old 12-15-04, 01:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
For about ten bucks at your home center, you can buy a UF-B splice kit (assuming you have UF-B).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: