Outside outlet

Old 12-15-04, 09:44 PM
drew817
Visiting Guest
Outside outlet

I had Christmas lights plugged into the outlet right outside the front door, the sprinklers went on and I guess shorted out the outlet, it won't turn anything on????

How can I fix this, the circuit breakers are all where they should be???

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-04, 12:07 AM
It should be a GFCI or GFCI protected outlet if it's outside, look for a reset on the receptacle itself, if none, then look around the house, could (in theory) be anywhere, anyway you are looking for a receptacle with a reset button and a test button on it, if you find one tripped, reset it, and go check your lights outside. If it is in a remote area, it may not be a bad idea to mark in the service panel, or even right on the outside rec. where it is fed from.

Old 12-16-04, 04:38 AM
Usually, when outside receptacles share a circuit and have their GFCI protection elsewhere, that usually means the garage, basement, or another outside receptacle. Look for this receptacle, and look hard. It may very well be hidden behind something. Another possibility is that you did not properly reset the circuit breaker. Some circuit breakers need to be completely turned off before they can be turned back on. Try switching this breaker completely off and then on.

You should know what other receptacles are on this circuit, but all too often people have no clue what circuit breaker controls what receptacles and/or outlets in their residence. This is both dangerous and a pain in the neck when something like this happens.

Old 12-16-04, 04:47 AM
vtm
In a previous home, our front, outside receptacle was controlled by a GFCI located in the 1/2 bath on the main level. The back, outside receptacle (near the door for our walkout basement) was controlled by a GFCI located in the full bath on the lower level.

.... just some other places to look....

Old 12-16-04, 06:29 AM
In the detailed statistics I've been keeping on this forum, in 97.3% of the 10,000 similar cases we've seen here, the GFCI that needs resetting is in the garage. And in 87.4% of those cases, the poster swears up and down that there is no GFCI in the garage an average of three times before they find it there. Note that the GFCI may not reset if the receptacle is still wet. You may need to dry it out with a hair dryer on low heat first.

Once you find an reset the GFCI, go to your home center and buy an "in-use" cover for your outdoor receptacle. This is required by code for any unattended plug, and it keeps it dry even when a cord is plugged in.

Old 12-16-04, 09:37 AM
...good stat John

Old 12-16-04, 11:08 AM
drew817
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I found the 4 GFCI outlets finally after much searching....found the 1st 3....all is back working!!! Thanks again!!!

Old 12-16-04, 11:43 AM
Just so I can update my stats, where did you find the GFCI that needed resetting?

Old 12-16-04, 02:12 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Quote: In the detailed statistics I've been keeping on this forum, in 97.3% of the 10,000 similar cases we've seen here, the GFCI that needs resetting is in the garage.

And my guess is that the remaining 2.7% won't find it there only because they don't own a garage.
~~~~~~~

Quote: And in 87.4% of those cases, the poster swears up and down that there is no GFCI in the garage an average of three times before they find it there.

And another guess is that half of those who don't have a garage will insist they don't have a GFCI either - simply because there's no garage to keep it in.
~~~~~~~

Aarno [wink]