220 oven wiring

Old 12-16-04, 09:02 AM
BigTufTer
Visiting Guest
220 oven wiring

I recently bought a used stove to replace an old one. When I removed the old one I foung them to be hard wired. The new one has a 3 prong plug on it.
So I bought an appropriate receptacle but found the wall wires were different than the oven wires. There was one solid black, one black with a purple dashed line, and a braided silver wire (uninsulated). The range plug has a black, red and white lead. I assumed that the black with the purple stripe from the wall was the white. Is this an incorrect assumption? After I hooked everything up and turned the main breaker back on to test the range I found that the burners took a very long time to heat up and the digital display blinked on for a short period then went out and would not come back on again. Also the light inside the oven came on once when I flipped the switch but went out immediately and would not come back on again. Have I wired it incorrectly? Should I switch the black and black striped wires? Could I have caused permanent damage to the digital display electronics? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, BigTufTer

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-04, 02:06 PM
The white from the range should be connected to the silver braided wire. The black and blackw purple connnect to the black and red fromthe range.

Old 12-18-04, 09:08 AM
chowyunfat2000
Visiting Guest
any luck?

Hi Bigturfer,

Any luck with your stove? I am curious and I am doing the same thing.
Although rather than creating a plug, I am hooking it up directly to the stove.

Old 12-20-04, 03:15 PM
BigTufTer
Visiting Guest
Good and Bad Luck

I did get the stove burners running but apparently a sensor was burned out and the oven won't run. The dude is ordering a new one. I created a female plug because the oven already had a male plug on it. It seemed simple enough. Thanks guys.