Baseboard Heater 220/110?? FUSEBOX connections??

Old 12-17-04, 08:35 AM
GARY88
Visiting Guest
Baseboard Heater 220/110?? FUSEBOX connections??

hey guys, I've been reading a lot since buying my country house and finding this great bb, I really need some help, and hope I too can find it here.

Below I've posted a link to pictures of my box. The top pull-out fuse is for my stove, then the next two pull-outs are for two 48" baseboard heaters on each and the next for my water tank. All this works fine.
I need to add two or one more 48" 1500watt baseboard heaters on 220. Can I do this by running a 12# cable with both wires live, the red on one fuse and black on another fuse and run this to my heater?
Do I join the black and red together at the heater? If so, to which of the two beater wires should the joined black and red from each fuse be made? Will this be 220?

Thanks a lot! Dominique

http://www.8ung.at/hermesfr/fusebox.htm

Old 12-17-04, 12:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The connections from the branch circuit should be made with red to the heaters red, Black to the thermostat's black, and thermostat's blue to heaters black. That will put 230 volts accross the heater with the high limit thermostat in the red leg and the regular thermostat in the black leg of the branch circuit. Limit the amount of jacket past the clamp to not more than 1/2" (~1.25 centemeters).
--
Tom H

Old 12-17-04, 01:53 PM
R
If you connect the two hot wires together at the heater then you will see some fireworks that you probably don't want to see.

Old 12-18-04, 09:09 AM
GARY88
Visiting Guest
FUSEBOX 110/220 How-to-Connect

Thank you for the good answer. Now my question is how to connect for 220 by connecting the cable to two of the glass fuse outlets (a cable with one red, one black, one ground) at the box and how do I connect this cable to the heater thermostat. Much appreciated!

Old 12-18-04, 06:25 PM
The black wire will go on one side of the fuse box and the red wire will go to the other. If that is twelve gage wire you will install twenty ampere fusestat adapters to two Edison based fuse holders that are opposite each other. You then screw in two twenty ampere fusestats only after all wiring is complete. The adapters prevent any larger size fusestat from being installed.

If you have a thermostat that is separate from the heater please advise. If not just follow the directions I already gave you.
--
Tom H

Old 12-21-04, 06:45 PM
GARY88
Visiting Guest
hornetd - THANK YOU!

hi, just writting this note to thank you so much, your help has helped me connect my heater for Christmas and made me very happy to know there are people like you in this world.

Dominique

Old 12-21-04, 07:31 PM
Your Welcome
--
Tom H

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: