Neutral for 100A Sub-panel question

Old 12-18-04, 08:26 PM
Neutral for 100A Sub-panel question

I am using #2 wire for my 100 A subpanel and have it all hooked up with exception of the neutal wire. Where do I attach this neutral wire into the main panel? I was going to attached it to the neutral/graound bar in the main panel but it seems the screw holes are too small for the #2 wire. Do I need to buy a special lug for this (if that even exists)?

The neutral and ground are independent in the subpanel. I just dont know what to do with it in the main panel.

Thanks for any help!

Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 07:10 PM
Any help? Please? ;-)

Old 12-20-04, 10:24 PM
I just installed a 100 amp subpanel too and bought a lug to accomodate the #2 conductor. The lug attached to the neutral bar of the main panel with an existing screw from the neutral bar that normally would secure a smaller conductor to the neutral bar. Just ask someone at Home Depot or somewhere similar what you are trying to do and they should be able to point you to the right one.

Edit: I was able to find one picture I took that showed the lug installed, well at least part of it. It is at the very bottom of this picture on the right side, half cut off the picture. Hope this helps some.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...16108FZtWbho0s

Another edit: I just remembered from looking at the picture that the screw I used to secure the lug to the bar came from the subpanel bar- the screws in the main panel bars were too short. This might be irrelevent to you but I thought I'd mention it.

Last edited by DIYNovice; 12-20-04 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-21-04, 12:13 AM
You need to buy the correct lug kit for your make of panel. Installing a lug designed for another panel violates the manufacturers UL listing. If the proper kit is purchased it will fit as advertized by the panel maker. Do not install a lug designed to fit another maufacturers panel. Also if you use any color other than white or gray for the neutral wire if 6 awg or larger you must identify it as a neutral with a white marking either tape or permanent marker of some kind.

Old 12-21-04, 07:49 AM
Thanks Roger for clearing that up. I had a feeling I should have just let someone more qualified answer his question....lesson learned...lol

Old 12-21-04, 02:31 PM
Thats exactly the info I was looking for DIYNovice thank you for responding!!! I just wasnt sure if that kind of part existed. Also, thanks roger for the clarification. Off to HD tonight.

Yes I have my neutral marked with white tape on both ends also.

Lou

Old 12-22-04, 09:03 PM
Thanks all...I got the lug last night and everything is all good now!!

Lou