Opinions on 3M cable stackers

Old 12-19-04, 10:38 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Opinions on 3M cable stackers

I would appreciate any opinions on the use of those 3M plastic romex cable stackers. (The clips that hold up to five runs)
I would like to use them in the rafters in my basement.
Are they for use exclusively in closed walls or can they be exposed?
MUST I run romex through holes in the rafters, or, can I staple romex across the surface without the use of a running board?
If I drill 1" holes, how many pieces of romex are allowed through this size hole? Bigger hole, more cables?

BTW....this forum has been EXCELLENT!!!
In the past two days, my posts have received numerous and ponderous replies! Everyone has been REALLY helpful!
For those of you who do this work professionally, I'm sure you've seen work done by DIY'ers who THINK thay know what they are doing. If they had only asked!
Again, many thanks for taking the time to help the rest of us!

Bill

Old 12-19-04, 07:30 PM
R
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The cable stackers though a little pricey are good cable managers and make for a neat installation. http://doityourself.com/ori/200x200/6797674.jpg
However nailing them to the bottom of joists then spanning the joists from one stacker to the other will not meet code. The stackers would be fine when running parallel with a joist placing one every 4 feet or so. If you span the joists you must run through bored holes with the cable at least 1 1/4 " from the surface edge. Any closer and you must protect it from driven nails with a steel "plumbers plate". Another option is to use running boards as you mentioned.
The code isnt real specific about how many NM-B cables can be run through a set of commom holes. There is concern for a "cabling effect" if bundled for longer than 24 inches. If you combine Nec 310.15B2.a with 240.4B1 It would probably be no more than four cables.

Last edited by Roger; 12-19-04 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-23-04, 07:49 AM
Love them Stackers. Great for spots when there are too many cables to keep organized with single staples.

Old 12-23-04, 08:02 AM
W
Cable Stackers

Home Depot used to carry the 3M stackers in bags.
Had to look hard, but they now carry box/20 made by GB.
They seem to be better than the 3M. They have a latch.
Started using them. They do make for a neat installation.
Best wishes for the holidays!
Bill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: