Converting an A.C. outlet

Old 12-22-04, 09:01 AM
jason melby
Visiting Guest
Converting an A.C. outlet

I'm looking for some info about trying to change an outlet. I have a rental unit that was built in 1982 and has a window A.C. unit mounted up in the wall. It was wired with an outlet right next to the A.C. (250v/20a). I replaced the origianal A.C. unit and went out bought a new one with no consideration for the plug type (which happens to be a standard 3 prong plug). I want to convert the convienantly located outlet to a standard out let. Help?

FYI - I can not describe the outlet style, but wiring wise there is a black, red, white, and bear ground. The white and the ground are connected to the same terminal with the red going to one side and the black going to the other.

Old 12-22-04, 09:29 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
IF the White-wire is connected to the Grounding- terminal 0f the existing 240-volt receptacle, the Grounding-terminal being identified by a Green screw, then it can be used as the Grounded circuit-conductor of a 120-volt 2-wire circuit.

You will have to locate this White conductor in the breaker-panel, and be positive that it connects to the Neutral terminal-bar where the other White-wires of the other 120-volt circuits connect. This White-wire will be in the same cable which has the Black and Red wires connected to a 2-pole circuit-breaker.

For the new 120-volt A-C unit, connect a "single-receptacle" device rated at 120-volts 20-amps to the White & Black wires.Insulate the Red wire in the outlet-box, and dis-connect it from the 2-pole breaker.The White wire connects to the "silver" device-terminal, and the Black to the "brass" terminal.Connect the bare Grounding-conductor to the Green terminal- screw.

Good Luck & Enjoy the Experience!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-04, 10:12 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Jason,

Your life will be so much better in so many ways if you return this air conditioner and buy another 240-volt 20-amp air conditioner. The air conditioner will work better, you will be cooler next summer, and you won't have any expensive electrical work to do.

Old 12-22-04, 11:09 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I agree with John Nelson. A 240v air conditioner is more efficient, and more powerful, than a 120v unit. More bang for your energy buck and no wiring changes required.

Juice

Old 12-22-04, 09:09 PM
jason melby
Visiting Guest
Thank you

I would like to thank you for your advise. I however originally bought this a.c. unit in hast this past summer when the one I had in went bad, and the current tenants needed one with no thought as to my electical needs. I ran the a.c. on heavy gauge appliance extension cord for the summer. The tenant just recently moved out so I fiqured this was my time to change over the outlet.

What I did do was what one of you wrote. I determined the white was on the ground bar in the breaker box and both my red and black were carrying a load. I pulled my red, capped it and labled it 'to a.c. - dead' with tape and did the same in my recepticle box. I then purchased 20 amp standard outlet and wired it. Everything is working good!

I will keep that advise about 240 A.C. in the back of my head, I have several other units set up the same. And if my current A.C. goes bad, I can just switch thing back again, all my wires are still in place.

Thanx again

Old 12-23-04, 06:41 AM
J
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Did you replace the two-pole breaker with a single pole breaker? Also, does your breaker match your conductor size? #12 wire for 20 amp breaker, #10 for 30 amp breaker. And your receptacle should be a single, not a duplex, rating to match circuit amperage.

Juice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: