color coded romex

Old 12-20-04, 06:11 AM
color coded romex

Is the new color coded romex required by code? I am finishing my basement and have torn out several of the old circuits that didn't fit the new layout. This was done before the color coded romex was introduced. Can I reuse the white romex?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by paulv
Is the new color coded romex required by code? I am finishing my basement and have torn out several of the old circuits that didn't fit the new layout. This was done before the color coded romex was introduced. Can I reuse the white romex?
Without answering the question RE: code and color coded romex, (maybe the code guru's can answer that...wouldn't mind knowing that answer myself) I'll give you *my* advise:

If you are DIYing this and want to impress the inspector that he should pass your work (assuming you get your work inspected), I'd advise you to not save $30 this way. Use all new wire. Don't give him *anything* to question. Inspectors can be "nit picky", especially when they know the work was DIY done rather than done by a licensed electrician. Be VERY neat.

Besides, from a practical standpoint, when you tore out the old circuits, are you *sure* you didn't damage/stretch the wire? Even if so, are you *sure* it wasn't already damaged and that it has never overheated?

I planned on reusing some old #6 wire my dad gave me to feed a subpanel (60 AMP), but I noted that the wire looked slightly burnt, as if it had overheated, and had several nicks in it. Using this wire would save me a couple $100's, and I am *cheap*, but I decided I'd rather have the peace of mind *knowing* the wire was good, so the #6 will NOT get used in my house...I'll spend the money for the new wire. I have to live there, as does my wife, and, in about 8 months, our first child. (Still scares me to say that! LOL)

Go for peace of mind...you are *already* saving money by DIYing, the little extra you save is not worth it.

Old 12-20-04, 08:33 AM
It is not required by code. It is new manufacturer marketing idea.

Old 12-20-04, 02:11 PM
Color coded cable is relatively new. You will find that there is no standard for colors.

As for reusing cable, that's a bad idea. Cable can easily become damaged when it is removed. Hopefully it doesn't become damaged when it is installed (or hopefully at least it gets noticed and replaced), but that can happen. You wouldn't want to save a few bucks just to cause a fire later on.

What you can do with the cable is to use small pieces to make pigtails. Just make sure that the cable pieces you use are in good shape.

Old 12-20-04, 06:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It is a new thing, it is not at all required by code and I DO find a standard. All NM I have seen new is white #14, yellow #12 & orange #10. Larger NM cable is almost all black. Not that it matters.

If the old wire is long enough and in good shape there is no reason you can't reuse it. Only thing is since it was used for receptacles and such you most likely have a lot of shorts (short pieces). If you have pieces long enough in prefect shape use them. The inspector cannot, and most likely will not, even raise an eyebrow to it.