Two wire lights

Old 12-20-04, 08:54 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Two wire lights

I'm installing lights in a shed that only have a hot(black) and neutral(white) wire. The outlet box is plastic with no ground(green) lug or screw. What do you do with the bare ground wire from the 12/3 wire coming into the box? Can you tie the neutral (white) and ground(bare) wire together with the neutral(white) wire from the light? Should you try to put in a screw and have the bare wire attached only to the plastic box?

Old 12-20-04, 09:05 AM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
No do NOT tie the ground to the neutral. Use GCFI receptacles and cap the ground wire at both ends.

Old 12-20-04, 02:15 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Do not under any circumstances tie the ground wire to the neutral. This is a major code violation and causes a very dangerous installation. Tuck the grounds to the back of the box and do not connect them to anything.

I would not leave the ground wire disconnected at the other end, I would connect it as you would any ground wire. I say this because you never know when someone may extend the circuit and not realize that the origin of the ground wire is not connected. Yes, they should check, but not everyone does. I also think that it may be a code violation to have an unconnected ground wire at the other end, even if it goes nowhere.

Do these lights have no ground because they have no exposed metal? Or do they have no ground because they are older, from a time when grounds were not used on regular branch circuits?

If they have no grounds because they have no exposed metal surfaces then should be safe to use with no GFCI. If, however, they have exposed metal then do make certain that you use a GFCI protected circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: