3 plug, 2-prong outlets

Old 12-20-04, 01:11 PM
mschauber
Visiting Guest
3 plug, 2-prong outlets

I'm moving into a new apartment and while it has a few 3 prong outlets, it's full of these outlets that have 3 connections for 2 prong plugs. Even the one in the kitchen hasn't been updated and has the fridge and oven plugged into it (one with an adapter and the other they removed the grounding bar (3rd prong.)

Anyway, I can't find any information on these plugs. I want to replace them with 3 prong outlets. Does anyone have any information on them? I haven't taken them out yet to look at what's behind the plates. I'm going to have to get thru a few dozen layers of paint to get the plate off.

Thanks for the help.

Marc

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 02:26 PM
If you are renting...

You cannot replace the receptacles yourself, this work needs to be done by an electrician.

Do not sign a lease or rent this apartment as is. The installation of a the refrigerator and oven are unsafe. Any device with a three prong plug needs to be plugged into a properly grounded circuit or at least into a GFCI protected circuit. The device with the ground prong cur off needs a new cord and plug, or at least a new plug installed.

Do not waver on this. Your life could be in danger from a problem. Make the landlord hire an electrician to correct the problems.

Old 12-20-04, 07:46 PM
For what its worth--
Those outlets I think might be a style of Despard outlets, part of a family of devices popular in the late '50's-early '60's.
Don't quote me on this though