Running Romex in attic

Old 12-21-04, 07:03 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Running Romex in attic

Hi,

I have a cheap book on electrical and they are not clear on the proper way to run wires in the attic. I assume within a stud bay I can just staple to the side of the stud. I have to cross one stud bay before I drop down. Do I go over the stud or drill through (this is a horizontal stud)?

Thanks

Old 12-21-04, 07:07 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

You should be able to drill a small hole near the center of the stud, and go through it. Keep the hole as small as possible, and as close to the center line as possible.

Old 12-22-04, 08:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Andrew is correct, but only if you used the word "stud" correctly. It's only a stud if it is perfectly vertical. If it is horizontal or at an angle, it's something else and you probably should not drill a hole in it at all.

If the attic is unfinished, then here is the code way to handle wiring with horizontal framing members:
  • When travelling parallel to the framing member, staple the cable to the side of the framing member no less often than every 4.5 feet.
  • When traveling across the framing members, install a "substantial guard strip" (i.e., a 2x4) along the path of the cable. Then staple the cable to the side of the 2x4.
  • If you don't have permanent stairs or ladder into your attic, then you only need the guard strip within six feet of the nearest edge of the access hole to your attic.
All of these rules are meant to minimize the chances of you stepping on the cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: