Fixing loose switch box

Old 12-22-04, 09:24 AM
Fixing loose switch box

Hello. I have a friend in a condo whose 2 gang switch box in the bathroom is loose. It moves side to side in the drywall - I haven't taken the switchplate off yet, but am pretty sure that it has lost its connection to the metal wall stud.

My question is - can this be fixed without opening the wall by driving a couple of screws from within the box into the metal stud, or do I need to open up the wall? The switch operates OK and the GFI receptacle operates and tests OK.

Thanks for any advice and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone here. It is a fantastic resource.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 09:32 AM
You may (or may not--worth a try) be able to stablize the box with "Madison clips". These are thin metal brackets shaped like the Greek letter pi. They slip in between the box and the wall and bend around the edges of the box. Go to your home center and ask for them in the electrical aisle.

Old 12-22-04, 10:42 AM
John - thanks for the quick reply. I've seen them in the electrical aisle at the big box, but never knew what they were for or how to use them.

Would this be preferred over screwing the box to the metal stud internally, or is it another possible option?

Old 12-22-04, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by PenguinDave
John - thanks for the quick reply. I've seen them in the electrical aisle at the big box, but never knew what they were for or how to use them.

Would this be preferred over screwing the box to the metal stud internally, or is it another possible option?
The box has to be mounted as designed. Which means you can't put mounting screws inside the box. I'd use John's suggestion.

Old 12-22-04, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info thinman. I'll give John's idea a try. Worst case I have to open up the wall. She was planning on painting the bathroom anyway, so this would just move the plan timeline up a bit.