adding a dedicated computer circuit

Old 12-23-04, 09:20 AM
hermione
Visiting Guest
Question adding a dedicated computer circuit

I bought an older home that has some older and some new wiring. Most of the existing outlets are grounded and can be easily converted to 3-prong. Had the service upgraded to 200amps, and would like to add a dedicated outlet for my computer system, but it's on the second floor. How does one get wiring from the basement, where the box is, to the second floor, or to the attic and then down? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-04, 09:47 AM
There are lots of ways this can be done.

One of the easier ways (sometimes) is to find where the plumbing pipes go upstairs. You can usually snake a wire up in the same stud cavity.

Old 12-23-04, 10:48 AM
hermione
Visiting Guest
Bob: There is an exposed vent pipe in one of the bedrooms, going to the attic. Is it ok to run romex next to that? It would also be exposed...

Old 12-23-04, 11:04 AM
You have an exposed vent pipe in the bedroom. That's certainly odd. The word "exposed" is subject to a great many interpretations, and one would have to see it to make a judgement.

Old 12-23-04, 11:16 AM
hermione
Visiting Guest
The exposed pipe is a new thing for me, too. The house was built in 1926; maybe the pipe was added later? It goes from the toilet drain in the basement up through the kitchen and the bedroom above it, through the attic to the roof. There is romex in the attic, so somebody relatively recently must have been able to get it from the basement up there. Is there a simple way to find its path?

Old 12-23-04, 12:22 PM
Water and toilet drain risers, chimneys, or last resort conduit up outside of house.

Good luck!