Advice please: reverse voltage converters

Old 12-24-04, 06:56 AM
lektra
Visiting Guest
Advice please: reverse voltage converters

We have a number of voltage converters of varying capacity to go from 110 to 220. We now need a few converters which will take 220 applainces down to 110. An electrician told me I can simply reverse the polarity on the 110 to 220's to be able to use them to convert 220 to 110.

Can anyone tell me how to do it? He said it was easy!

Thanks

Old 12-24-04, 08:26 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Give us more info. Devices?? are they transformers? What are you running with them? How many watts are they rated for?
A transformer works both ways. It can be used to raise a voltage or it can used to lower a voltage.

Old 12-24-04, 02:32 PM
lektra
Visiting Guest
More info

Thanks for the response. The wattages vary as I have 6 or 7, designed to run lights, computers, stereo systems etc. These are industrial-strength type converters, not the kind you find in travel stores. If I succeed in re-jigging them, I'll use them for stereos and TV's etc purchased in Europe, which I now want to use in the US. I was told by someone who lived in Europe and returned to US that he had a number of voltage converters made for the 110 upconversion to 220, which he then rejigged by simply reversing the connections, to then use the converter as a 220 downconverter to 110. He is a technician and said it is a simple common thing to do. As they are packed away, I dont have the wattages etc of each.

Old 12-25-04, 02:49 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
If the devices are transformers then you can feed 120 into the them and get 240 out.

Old 12-26-04, 01:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Technically you can simply "rewire" the circuit to give you 220V and replace the plug on the cord.

Not the best plan in the world, and frankly not something I would do, but for most electronic devices the 10Hz frequency difference won't make a difference.

This will only work for a dedicated receptacle, and you have to make sure that nothing else gets plugged into that circuit.

There are a fair amount of electronic devices that have autosensing power supplies... the only thing needed in that case is a new plug.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: