Worlds of the trade when they say $30 per opening

Old 12-24-04, 08:25 AM
ka3vvv
Visiting Guest
Worlds of the trade when they say $30 per opening

I would like to know when they say $30 per opening. That just labor it will cost to install a light switch outlet. And I guess you will add 10% markup on your supply. In if you have to do a run you will double up the price that open price in make it $60.00 a open. What would a recessed can cost. Thank for tacking the time to read this.

Old 12-24-04, 07:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I apoligize for being so argumentative. I had seen a lot of sniping at the rates those of us who fead our families by craft labor charge for our work and I mistook your inquiry as more of the same.
--
Tom H

Last edited by hornetd; 12-25-04 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-25-04, 02:42 PM
ka3vvv
Visiting Guest
no one is babbling about

Read the ?. I'm asking a question about pricing In how it go in field no one is babbling. Read the? Before you start the babbling. I do all my own work.

Old 12-25-04, 04:16 PM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Certainly sounds like a fair question to me - especially since I'm unfamiliar with the term "open up" relative to cost.

Maybe someone will respond with a straight answer and this curiosity will be satisfied.

Aarno (I also do my own basic electrical work.)

Old 12-25-04, 05:26 PM
ka3vvv
Visiting Guest
Aarno

Aarno that all I ask.

Old 12-25-04, 06:02 PM
A light switch with light fixture is two openings (with no home run back to a panel) and costs $60 plus material. If they run back to a circuit breaker panel, then it goes to $90.
Seems pretty low.
A recessed light fixture is often $125 per fixture plus an opening for the switch.

Old 12-26-04, 07:53 AM
Aarno
Visiting Guest
Tom H - I just noticed your edited post up above. Speaking as someone fairly new to this forum, I haven't observed the type of inquiries (rate-bashing) to which you refer. Not saying it doesn't exist, only saying that I haven't seen it here. However, I certainly have seen it on certain other forums. And it always leads to hard feelings one way or another.

Although I'm not in the trades and only perform work on my own properties, I'd like to quickly share my feelings on the rate-bashers. And that is; either they don't understand - or they simply don't care to know what it costs to run a business and still be able to provide for your families. (Price gougers aside.) Point is that most of us understand that it's easy for some pro's to be sensitive to the subject.

While some of the comments in this thread have gone off topic just a bit, I do think it's part of the subject on whole. And hopefully the moderators will see it as 'not' going astray, but rather as being helpful and simply clearing the air just a bit. 'Nuff said.

Aarno

Old 12-26-04, 08:13 AM
Thanks for understanding and again I'm sorry I lost my temper and was rude.
--
Tom H

Old 12-27-04, 07:56 PM
rlc3854
Visiting Guest
I am new to this forum and don't want to offend anyone. First it is very hard for professionals to visit this type of site and give straight forward answers concerning the actuals work pratices, much less the costs. If a home owner burns their house to the ground it is between them and their insurance company. If a contractor makes a mistake and burns their home down it is between the home owner's attorney and the contractor. Most contractors and remodels charge for new construction or old work (existing). The cost for new construction is about half of what old work is such as $30 per opening (outlet) or $60.00. This cost includes the box, receptacle and cover and usally about 15 feet of wiring. Additional wire, breaker and fishing wire or conduit will add considerably to the cost. What does a DIYer consider their cost in driving to the big box store, shopping, credit purchasing and driving back to the job site?

Old 12-28-04, 01:09 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Oh the terrible circle of life!!!

There are not to many forums that do not, at one time or another, get into this circle. Why do people of the trade charge so much for doing so little?????? This usually comes from someone who feels they have over paid for some type of labor to be done, and they may very well have.

However, in most cases members of "the trade" (whatever trade it may be) try to be as consistant as possible. If they charge to much, they get no work. If they charge to little, they don't get to eat. So the cost has to be consistant with the location you live in also. It is going to be cheaper to get something done in Smalltown than it will in the middle of Washington DC.

Many folks don't ever see the other side. The side of owning or operating their own business. Why is that? If you can make so much money performing a "trade", why aren't you out there doing it?

Until you have tried to run your own business, you have no idea of all the work that goes into it. How much it costs to keep you equipment up, replace it when needed, get to and from the job site, hire extra help if needed, buy parts and supplies. Not to mention, when you get home, when all the 9 - 5 crowd is done with their jobs. You still have to sit down and do all the paperwork associated with your "trade".

I personally have been on both sides of the fence and know what goes into running a business of your own. How much it can hurt you if you do screw something up and have to make it right. How much it hurts you when you do a job well and have to go through all the hassle of collections to get what is owed to you. Dealing with those folks who "have their own parts", even though it may take you three hours to rebuild, clean and get them to work right, it should be cheaper than buying a new one for twenty dollars.

So when I have someone else do something for me (rarely, but it does happen) I try to remember they are just trying to make a living too. I also think of those times I spent waaaaayyyy to much money fixings something myself, because I replaced several "wrong" items before I got the right one. If I had let a pro do it, it would have been cheaper!!

Lastly, I can only guess. If I was in a trade to only make as much money as I could, as fast as I could.....I don't think I would donate my time typing helpful hints on a forum like this! So if you are thinking about complaining about prices, go to the person you have the problem with, not the person on the other end of this forum who is trying to help you out.....for free (reverse rate bashing).

So for all of you out there that own their own business, my hat goes off to you. May your families be well fed, housed, clothed and have many "luxaries". After working you butt off for, God only knows, years may you have enough money put away to give a good 401K plan a run for its money!!!

Old 12-28-04, 02:36 PM
ka3vvv
Visiting Guest
Hello every one

I didn't come here on the fourm to complaining about prices or bash any one prices. Im just here for advice. How are jobs prices in the trade. I never new it was price by the name pre open.

I use the work for the phone company in we charger pre wall jack how much wire we use. In for a service charger. In a charger for every 15 min we were at a sub location or other name coustomer house.

hornetd You got it heat it in here LOL!

Everything is kool , I'm just trying to get into the trade and I'm take classes in the trade. I do my own work in work for others Like to give out a fair price But
I just don't how the price go in the trade.
I read some where about open. In won't to know the meaning of open. Do it inculed the box the wire the outlet.

thank you all

Old 12-28-04, 03:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
One thing I can say is it is quite hard to decipher your posts. I am not really sure what you are trying to say half the time.
I truley feel this topic needs to take place on a contractor board somewhere. This is not really DIY territory, contractor pricing.

For new work, per opening pricing is very common. The price is for a working, tested device. Box, wire, breakers and all.

Old 12-28-04, 07:01 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Enough said. Time to let this thread die while we're all still on friendly terms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: