Breaker tripping

Old 12-24-04, 09:06 AM
stevexsmith
Visiting Guest
Breaker tripping

I have installed a dedicated outlet for my air compressor. The breaker trips every time the compressor is turned on. It works okay as I have been wheeling it to an outlet to use, but have to disconnect anything on the circuit to have power to run the compressor, hence the recommended dedicated circuit. Swapped the breaker, still trips.
The outlet is at the main panel, about 18 inches of 14 gauge wire.
Don't want to believe it's the compressor switch. Still works at the other outlet. Any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-04, 09:33 AM
15-amp or 20-amp circuit?
15-amp or 20-amp compressor?
120-volt or 240-volt compressor?
GFCI, AFCI or regular breaker?

Old 12-24-04, 12:57 PM
stevexsmith
Visiting Guest
circuit data

The motor data on the compressor is 120v, 15a, 60hz single phase.
I used a new 15 amp regular breaker.
I measured the outlet with a meter and it was steady at 121.3 to 7.
The outlet in question will power other things no problems.
I've heard of slow blow fuses, is there such a thing in a breaker? HMMmmmm, well that's not an issue, it works else where.
Guess my option is keep wheeling the compressor around to an outlet that works, or call an electrician to check the circuit, or take the compressor in to a dealer to get checked out. I'm not comfortable using it until I get this resolved. Thanks for the replies, Steve

Old 12-24-04, 02:59 PM
Is the breaker on the circuit where it trips the same make, model, and size as the breaker on the circuit where it doesn't trip? If not, make it the same make and model (don't change the size). If it is the same, try swapping the wires on the two breakers with each other. Sometimes a breaker doesn't make a good connection with the bus at one particular spot and it gets too hot and trips.

Old 12-29-04, 07:45 PM
stevexsmith
Visiting Guest
Still a mystery

The new breaker is identical to the working circuit, Square D breakers. I switched the wires on the breakers, the problem moved to the old circuit breaker. I went into the outlet and moved the wires from the holes to the screw connector, no help. For no logical reason, I plugged a 50 ft extention cord into the outlet and the breaker tripped twice in about 15 starts. Maybe I need a longer extention cord

Old 12-31-04, 09:49 AM
When the breaker trips, does it do so immediately or is there a time delay. If so, how much delay?

You indicate that the receptacle powers other loads without tripping? What sorts of loads have you tried?

Since the old breaker trips when you switch the wires, it would appear that there is a fault of some kind in the wiring of the troublesome receptacle.

Is this a GFCI-protected outlet? Am I assuming correctly that this is a dedicated-circuit receptacle which you installed yourself?

Old 01-01-05, 10:44 AM
if the motor data is 15A then you probably need a dedicated 20A circuit, not the 15A. I would buy a single 20A receptacle and rerun the circuit with 12ga wire. The land the wire on a 20A breaker.

Old 01-01-05, 06:15 PM
What guage was the 50 foot extension cord? It needs to be at least #14 for the motor you are trying to start. It also needs to be stretched out. If it is coiled up it will overheat. Does it trip if you plug it in direct without the cord.

Old 01-02-05, 04:49 AM
jap
Visiting Guest
Unhappy tripping,breaker

My Breaker .trips When We Use The Microwave,or For No Reason.[quote]

Old 01-02-05, 04:52 AM
jap
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

[QUOTE=jap]My Breaker .trips When We Use The Microwave,or For No Reason.

Old 01-02-05, 08:44 AM
I thought we were talking about a compressor. Why is a microwave appearing suddenly in this story?