Would a sub panel make sense?

Old 12-26-04, 05:14 PM
Would a sub panel make sense?

I'm building a gameroom in the basement, for electrical it's going to have flouresent lighting, baseboard (probably 2) heaters, a small fridge, a TV, and the correct amount of outlets. I think it would be better to have a sub panel in the room but would like to know what the experts think. The room is on the opposite end of the basement that the main panel is on. My reasoning on this is it would be less wiring I'd have to run from the panel to the new room.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 05:49 PM
Before you install a sub-panel there are other points to consider.
1st.What is the size of the main service into the house? If you have less than 150 amps coming into the house you will need an upgrade
2nd. If you have a 150 or 200 amp service do you have space for a double pole breaker to feed the sub? Space can be made using half-size breakers & are available for every panel out there.Their cost varies
3rd.What condition is the service in? If the cable,meter,etc.is deteriorated it may need to be replaced.
4th.What is the distance from the main panel to where the sub is to mounted? If its less than 75' then its not worth running a feeder for a sub,in my opinion.It would be cheaper to run all the circuits from the main panel.Good luck

Old 12-26-04, 05:57 PM
I'll answer in order;
1. 200 AMP
2. Space is available for breaker
3. House is 20 years old, everything seems in good shape, home inspector found no problems 3 months ago.
4. It would be under 75 feet.

So it would be cheaper to run multiple runs of lower gauge wire for each circuit than one run of the higher gauge to the sub, then lower gauge for the room circuits? I don't mind spending a bit extra, but I don't want to go overboard.

Old 12-26-04, 06:14 PM
Without konwing the size of the room I'm guessing that you'll need atleast 5 circuits. Ckt1. Fridge,lighting
Ckt2. TV & any realated equipment
Ckt3,4 Baseboard heaters 2 pole
Ckt5 other outlets
Obviously this is just an outline or an idea,hope it helps

Old 12-26-04, 06:54 PM
I was planning on only 3 circuits, one for heaters, one for lights, and one for outlets. The only thing that will be on the outlets normally would be the TV and fridge, didn't think I'd need a seperate circuit for each AND a circuit for the outlets. The size is roughly 15x20.

Old 12-26-04, 07:11 PM
If you have space in the main panel, it will probably be simpler and cheaper to run the circuits from there. But either way will work and a lot depends on how far apart the two panels would be and how difficult it is to run cable between them. Running the circuits from the main panel is also better for load diversity, since you don't end up being limited by the size of the feeder you initially choose.

I assume you're talking about 240-volt heaters?

When in doubt, more circuits is better than fewer. I'd probably run at least two circuits for receptacles. Otherwise, you may run out of power some day. But it's up to you. And how much you do now depends on how much of a pain in the neck it would be to add another circuit later. If you have space in the panel, and one more circuit may only cost you ten bucks and ten minutes. Not much, huh?

Old 12-27-04, 05:09 AM
Looks like I'll just use the main panel. The room will take up a corner of the basement using about 1/4 of the available space, next to it will eventually be a workshop of about the same size. The basement is currently unfinished so running the wiring probably couldn't be easier. Heaters will be baseboard 240v, I would really like to use a pellet stove or oil fired monitor but don't have the money.