No Main

Old 12-26-04, 09:56 PM
eh54
Visiting Guest
No Main

A relative of mine was showing me his service box in his home..... I noticed to my surprise their are no main circuit breakers........ I do not believe this is code what-so-ever....... The home was purchased this way.. I advised him to check into correcting this........ He said he was told it was not neccessary................. ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-04, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Split-bus panels have no main breaker. And some panels have an external main disconnect. Split-bus panels were legal in their day (the six top half breakers collectively act as the main disconnect), and of course an external disconnect is still legal.

Old 12-27-04, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The main may be one of the double pole breakers in the panel.

Old 12-27-04, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have seen numerous panels with the main, an average looking 2-pole CB, in the middle of the lineup. It is usually, but not necessarily, a 60 amp. Could be 100, though. As John Nelson said, this is often a "split bus" panel. As is too often the case, there is no panelboard legend identifying the breakers, so to the casual observer ,who is looking for the main to be a larger than normal breaker up top and centered, it would appear as though there was none. If you don't mind re-setting the time on your VCR, digital clocks, etc., I would suggest killing your 2-pole breakers one at a time until you see the whole house go down with one of them. And then label that breaker with the word "main".

Or it's possible that you have a main disconnect outdoors. But I have never seen a home with no main disconnecting means, so that is not likely to be the case.

Juice