Adding a subpanel

Old 12-27-04, 05:43 PM
Portercal
Visiting Guest
Adding a subpanel

I am in the process of changing my electric stove and microwave combo to a gas range and microwave hood, I have a 50amp 220v plug and I need two 20amp 110v plugs. I have decided to add a subpanel in the garage while i am at it. I want to feed the subpanel with the 50amp line from the old stove the problem I am having is the original 220 plug only has three wires two hot and one non insulated(ground or nuetral), the other problem is that I will have to splice onto the 6/2 50amp circut in order to reach the location of the new subpanel. the existing 6/2 wire is aluminum, I was told that aluminum wire is no longer sold in CA, is it ok to splice this line using a junction box, can copper wire and aluminum wire comingle. the other question I have is how do I provide a ground to the subpanel, my thought was to drive a grounding rod out side the garage and run a 6 awg copper wire a grounding block in the subpanel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-04, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You have a typical scenario. Unfortunately installing a sub-panel is not an option in your case. You cannot extend this circuit. Also you absolutely cannot just sink a ground rod to ground the panel.
You only option is the run a new 3-wire (w/ground) circuit to the location of the new panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: