Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

How do I wire a duplex receptacle with a three way switch?

Old 12-28-04, 08:34 AM
vacman1
Visiting Guest

I would like to wire in a duplex receptacle to an existing three-way switch; please advise correct wiring schematic to maintain the "new" receptacle as a continuous "hot" outlet. Thank you, Richard

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 08:49 AM
Most of the time this is not possible without additional wiring in the walls. Since there are many ways this might currently be wired, we need a lot more information to help you:
  1. What room is this in?
  2. What does the 3-way switch control?
  3. Where exactly do you want the new receptacle? In the same box as the 3-way, changing the single-gang box to a double-gang box, or nearby? If nearby, where exactly?
  4. Where is the other 3-way switch?
  5. You're going to need to eventually open up both switch boxes and the fixture box that is controlled by these switches and tell us all the wiring you see there. Only then will we know whether this is possible and how (actually, we may not know even then and we may ask you to conduct some additional tests). But please start by shutting off the breaker, gently pulling out the switch you wish to tap power from out of the box, and telling us all the wires and connections you see.
  6. Fess up. Have you already started this project and can't get it to work? If so, give us the details. If you've already changed stuff, try to answer the previous question as if you had not.

Old 01-09-05, 02:32 PM
vacman1
Visiting Guest
How To Wire A Three Way Switch W/duplex Receptacle

Hi John,
Just wanted to take a moment to thank you for your prompt and professional response to my earlier query. After studying your reply, you actually prompted me to look for an easier way to accomplish the task. I found an easier solution and all is now well - one less project on my "to do" list!

Thanks again, Rick