newbie:splicing into current wiring

Old 12-28-04, 07:50 AM
hjai
Visiting Guest
newbie:splicing into current wiring

In my garage, I have 2 fluorescent light fixtures connected to the wall switch. I wanted to add a 3rd fixture that is also connected to the switch. The problem is that the 2 fixtures are hardwired, not plugin, and the hardwiring is the type that is surrounded by metal tubing. So if I splice in using wire nuts, do I need the metal tubing around the wiring for the new fixture? also, is that acceptable under building codes? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 08:00 AM
The tubing is called conduit. You need to extend it to your new fixture and pull wires into it. You won't be using romex cable.

Old 12-28-04, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by hjai
The problem is that the 2 fixtures are hardwired, not plugin, and the hardwiring is the type that is surrounded by metal tubing. So if I splice in using wire nuts, do I need the metal tubing around the wiring for the new fixture? also, is that acceptable under building codes? Thanks.
Where do you live? Check with your electrical inspector to find out if conduit is required in your area? There may be an easier way to to do what you want.

Old 12-28-04, 08:36 AM
is the tubing flexible? If it is, then it is BX, not conduit. BX is common in suspended ceilings. Any way you look at it, you will have to do your splice in some sort of a junction box. P.S. If it is BX, don't forget your anti-short bushing!!!

Old 12-28-04, 02:02 PM
hjai
Visiting Guest
yes, it is BX then. i was planning to use plain old indoor home wiring but if the garage really needs bx to meet code then that's what I'll have to do. Is there a diy for bx installation? Don't want to forget anything like the anti-short bushing you mentioned.