electric water heater

Old 12-28-04, 01:40 PM
diybob
Visiting Guest
electric water heater

O.K. I have a 30 gal.whirlpool mobile home electric with single 3500 watt element in bottom.About every six months I have to drain and either clean or replace element due to lime deposits.When I refill, it takes at least 3-4 hrs to reheat water.Is it ok to add a top 3500 element and thermostat to help heat the water.I have a 30 amp 240 breaker with 12-2 wire with a run of about 10 feet.Also I can't seem to find a 3500 watt incolay element to help reduce the deposit prob.Any help is most appreciated. Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 02:33 PM
How in the world would you add another element? Are you talking about drilling a new hole? That would breach the glass lining and your tank would rust out in no time. I'm also not sure how you would drill it nor how you would keep it from leaking.

Even so, all electric heaters with two elements only run one at a time. So it wouldn't heat the water any faster anyway (although it would make a smaller amount of hot water available sooner).

Is the twice a year draining day the only time you have problems?

Old 12-28-04, 04:14 PM
diybob
Visiting Guest
It has a plug where the upper element goes but when purchased new only had the one element

Old 12-28-04, 08:08 PM
A 30 amp breaker should not have 12-2 wire. For a 30 amp breaker you need 10-2 wire. Sounds like you already have a problem. This should be a 20 amp breaker.