Electrical Panel Enclosure

Old 12-28-04, 01:31 PM
cjtully
Visiting Guest
Electrical Panel Enclosure

I am just wondering what is recommended for clsoing in my electrical panel. It is currenly exposed in my basement furnace room where I do some woodworking so it may collect some extra sawdust. Is it okay to build a hinged wooden door to cover the panel?

I also notice that the insulation does not go anywhere near the panel and the air is very cold around the box. Is it safe to pack a little more insulation around the panel? Alternatively, if I build the door I could line it with rigid foam to provide some insulation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 01:34 PM
Doesn't the panel have a door already?

It's ok to put fiberglass insulation behind and around the panel. It's just easier to work if it's not there.

Old 12-28-04, 01:40 PM
cjtully
Visiting Guest
The panel has a cover that covers the breakers, leaving only the breaker switches exposed. I want to put something a little more protective to cover the whole panel.

Old 12-28-04, 01:49 PM
If you just want to protect it from dust, I'd just hang a sheet of clear plastic over it, attached only at the top. That way anyone can easily tell where the panel is and get to it quickly in the event of an emergency.