No power, no hot water

Old 12-28-04, 08:44 PM
No power, no hot water

Had 3-day power outage. When power restored, two standard wall plugs in kitchen out (one circuit) and water heater not heating.
Self tested and power company tested 110v and 220v breakers, all OK.
Tested water heater. Checking black and red leads seperately, with $5.00 circuit tester, shows 110v on each. Tested together (for 220v) produces no indication at all.
At Home Depot a customer shopping in electrics said it sounded like a dead hot leg. The HD salesman said he thought it was 1/2 power or something like that. The power company tech sid all circuits were at full power.
The wall outlets seem to be just checking and possibly cleaning the connections, from what I understand.
How do I determnine if it is a dead hot leg at the water heater and can I fix it without any major undertaking? Electricians are expensive, and I am retired on a fairly fixed income.
I am learning DIY (hopefully).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Sarge

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-04, 08:50 PM
If indeed one of the hot legs is missing you should call the utility immediately. The easiest way to check this is to check for 220V between the 2 hot conductors in the main panel. You need to be very careful when doing this. If you do have 220V over there then you need to test the breaker that feeds the water heater.

Old 12-28-04, 10:29 PM
Check and see if the water heater has an internal circuit breaker some do and some dont it usually is a red button. Could be in the wiring enclosure or another easily accessed cover plate on the water heater. Not sure if you are testing at the heater and have 110 on each leg to ground why you are not getting 220 between legs. How are you testing?

Old 01-01-05, 10:13 AM
No power, no hot water

It turned out that earlier I had to replace a defective breaker adjacent to the one that the water heater is on. In unplugging the defective breaker, I pulled two loose wires out of two other breakers. When I put the two wires back in, I unknowingly crossed them. I had put one of the water heater wires into a seperate breaker and had another circuit's wire where the water heater wire should be.
It was easy to remedy, but quite a time consumer finding.
Thank you for your input.
Sarge