Safety with electrical oil-filled radiators

Old 12-30-04, 07:39 AM
hamandnails
Visiting Guest
Question Safety with electrical oil-filled radiators

I want to put two electrical oil-filled radiators (can buy in SEARS or Home-Depot) in a section of the basement (approx 12' x 40')...
are these units efficient and if I plug them into two different outlets, would I have any kind of problem..??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 08:31 AM
Hillegas
Visiting Guest
I bought 2 oil filled radiant heaters from lowes, there little readiators on wheels. I've been using them this last week or so to keep my job site heated since the gas \ heat is still off. They were 35 bucks a piece.

I've left them on the high setting, they do a good job of keeping the temps above freezing which is what I wanted to do. They don't put off much heat, but they will keep the area warm.

I forget if these heaters have any saftey protection, I have a fan heater that will shut itself off if it's knocked over or over heats. I believe the 2 oil filled radiant heaters have the same saftey feature, they'll shut off if they over heat?

I'll check today.

Old 12-30-04, 08:49 AM
No portable heater should be left on unattended. If these heaters are to be used in an area that needs heat all the time, consider having hardwired baseboards installed. The initial cost seems higher, but the cost of a fire is astronomical. I've seen too many space heaters burn up. Cords and plugs seem to be common weak spots.

Doug M.

Old 12-30-04, 09:01 AM
Depending on the size of the units and on the size of the circuit, you won't be able to use them on the same circuit or you will trip the breaker.