Consequences of NM cable in conduit

Old 12-30-04, 02:24 PM
Consequences of NM cable in conduit

My service to my garage has 6 guage NM cable(4 wire) with a sub panel in the garage. I noticed that there is a sweep at the bottom of the pvc conduit where it comes out of the house. I dug around it and it is all in 1 1/2" conduit from the house to garage about 40 feet. It is outdoor gray cable. I have been surfing here and notice that this is a code violation. What could happen as a result of this? It has worked for at least a few years like this. I know heat is a concern and I don't think I use enough juice to really get the 6 guage hot. Compressor, heater are under 30 amps and the welder can push 40 or 50, but I rarely use it. Should I worry?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 03:16 PM
It is outdoor gray cable
6 guage NM cable
Those two statements are contradictory. I'll assume you have UF cable rather than NM.

I have been surfing here and notice that this is a code violation.
I wouldn't worry about it now that it's already done (but I wouldn't do it again). The legality of this installation is much debated, with more people thinking that it's a code violation than not. But the 2005 NEC is clarifying some of these issues. I haven't seen it yet, but I know that article 334 has several new paragraphs about NM cable in conduit

Old 12-30-04, 03:44 PM
Your right. I looked and it is UF B cable. Thanks for the reply. I don't want to worry about something bad happening because of it.