switch wiring

Old 12-30-04, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up switch wiring

hello, as you start down my basement steps there is a light switch that controls two lights in the first room down the steps.thats all fine my question is and lets call the lights light 1 and light 2 .i have framed up part of the room to make it 2 rooms with light 1 in the first room and light 2 in the second new room. what i want to do is install and wire a new light switch for room 2. to cut light 2 off and on without afecting light1, light 2 is a extenion of light 1 and there is no other wiring there. walk me though the wiring and so on i am pretty handy.also can you recomend books or sites to learn electric i am interested

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-04, 06:39 PM
You need to describe the wiring and answer a question.

What is the wiring at the switch, and hat is the wiring at each light? Be specific. How many cables are there? What wires are in the cables? How are the wires connected?

Do you want light 2 also to be controlled by the main switch, or completely by the second (new) switch only?

Old 12-30-04, 07:03 PM
adrew,

I need to know the wiring at each light and at the switch. And please answer here, so that everyone will benefit from the information.

Old 12-30-04, 07:14 PM
Received 96 Votes on 88 Posts
Do you want L2 to still be controlled by the existing switch? If yes this is easy.
Run a new cable from L2 to the new switch. Remove the existing black wire from the light black wire. Connect it to the new white wire. Mark the white wire with black tape or a marker. Connect the new black wire to the light black wire. At the switch connect the black and white wires to the switch. Mark the white wire again.