Wire help needed. 3-way switch installation problem

Old 01-01-05, 11:54 AM
willcox inc
Visiting Guest
Wire help needed. 3-way switch installation problem

I'm trying to install a three way switch in my walkout basement. I've installed recessed lamps over a bar area and there is no dry wall up. My intentions is to be able to turn off the lamps from either side of the room. This is an unfinished basement too!

I have power running to a regular on/off switch. I have installed 12/2 romex from the first switch box to the second switch box as my travelers. But according to my wire diagram that I have it requires a third wire.

Can you use the ground from the 12/2 romex for the third wire?

Is there a special on/off switch required for this application?

(I took apart one of my step switch's and looked at the switch that controlled it. The switch appeared to have a different configuration on the back than that of a standard switch.)

If you can't use 12/2 and the ground wire, then I assume that there is another type of wire that can be purchased with an extra wire in it. Or should I just run another set of wires over top the set I just ran.

Is there any web site that would offer insight to this problem?

Any help would greatly be appreciated,

Regards,

Last edited by willcox inc; 01-01-05 at 11:55 AM. Reason: left out information
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-05, 12:21 PM
Yup, you need a third wire. Nope, you can't use the ground. You need 12/3 wire and 3 way switches at each of the 2 locations. Search the web for "wiring a 3 way switch". There are several web sites. There are also several good basic wiring books available at your local home improvement store. You might want to invest in a couple and read them cover to cover.

Doug M.

Old 01-01-05, 12:37 PM
willcox inc
Visiting Guest
Doug,

Thank you,

The Colony Texas.. Home town of Bracey Wright... I'm in Indiana! Sad, but he should have went to a better school with a better coach!

Since the post I took one of the other switch's apart on the stairway. I'm running out right now to purchase the two switch's.

The 12/3 romex will contail a red wire in it and the added wire that I need.

I bought the book from Home depot a couple of years ago and have misplaced it. I think I'll either go purchase another one, or stop until I locate my old copy.

Willcox

Old 01-02-05, 03:08 PM
We've been watching Bracey since he was in high school. Caught him at Denton last year when IU played North Texas. Good game, couldn't decide who to root for. My wife's from Richmond.

Get the book and things should be fairly simple. Let us know if you run into any snags.

Doug M.