no power in wall outlet

Old 01-01-05, 08:18 PM
onie
Visiting Guest
no power in wall outlet

Hello
I'm currently having problems with 3 outlets not working. I turn the circuit breaker to off and back on and it still does not work. Any help please

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-05, 09:34 PM
Are these outlets

in the kitchen, outside, in a garage, basement, or in a bathroom? If the answer is yes, then you need to find and reset the outlet with the GFCI. Just press the reset button on the outlet. Look carefully, behind boxes, inside and out, it's there somewhere! (Usually in another room in the last place you'd think to look).

If not then what else does the breaker for these outlets power? The last source of power is usually a good spot to begin troubleshooting.

Old 01-02-05, 09:52 AM
onie, there are many different reasons why receptacles might be without power, so the more information you can give us the better our guesses can be. Here's a sample of useful information:
  1. Exactly where are the receptacles?
  2. What else is on the same circuit?
  3. When did this start happening? Did the outage correspond to any event (e.g., using the vacuum cleaner, a rainstorm, some work in your house)?
  4. In what year was your house built?
  5. Do you have any electrical test equipment?

Old 01-02-05, 08:17 PM
onie
Visiting Guest
The 3 outlets are in the living room. I'm currently remodeling my house alone and a couple of weeks ago i knocked down a a wall that is about 4 ft. high and 8 ft. long and about 6 inches wide. It was attached to a wall next to the front door. The house was built in 1972 and the design of the wall look outdated. Anyway, it had one outlet and i just cut the wires taped it with electric tape and hid it behind the drywall. Covered the hole with a 4x6 drywall. I do not know if that is a code violation but to pull the wire all the way out would be very difficult. Do i have to cut open that wall again ? What do i do with the wires ? Does it have something to do with the 3 outlets that's not working ?

Old 01-02-05, 08:23 PM
If there were two cables in that box, then you have identified the problem. One cable brought the power in and the other cable carried the power "down the road" to the next 3 outlets. You should open the wall, install a junction box with cover so it will remain accessible. Slice the 2 cables black to black, white to white, ground to ground. Use wire nuts to splice. If there are other colors in the box, post back here before doing anything.

Old 01-02-05, 09:44 PM
Wow! What you did was a serious code violation, significant hazard, and the cause of your problems. There are many possible solutions and it's difficult to select the best one without seeing what you're working with. 594tough presented one possibility. Another is to trace the cable back in both directions to where it comes from, and install one unspliced cable between those two boxes.

Don't get goofy here. Just because something is difficult is no reason to create a hazard that endangers your family (and the next one to live in your house). If you are unsure of the correct and code-compliant way to fix this, get professional help. Don't take chances with electricity.

Old 01-02-05, 10:19 PM
onie
Visiting Guest
I really screwed up big time. Cutting corners to save $$$. Yes it is 2 wires. Should i cut the wall ? I'm worried about going up the attic for fear of creating more problems. Thanks for all your advice. Caliing an electrician first thing in the morning