2 prong to 3 prong

Old 01-02-05, 08:43 PM
LiquidOps
Visiting Guest
Question 2 prong to 3 prong

Greetings,

First time posting here, but definately looking forward to a reply.

I am one that is usually known to have a lot of computers running. The problem is, that the room i want to do it in, only has 2 prong outlets.

I need my computers to be properly grounded. How can I go about changing these to three prong outlets?

Thank you in advance,

Steven

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 08:53 PM
Take the cover plate off. If the box is metal, test with a voltmeter or circuit tester between one of the brass screws and the metal box. If you get 120 volts (or it lights up your circuit tester), you can just install a "self-grounding" receptacle. Otherwise, your best bet is to have a new circuit run, or put your computers in another room, or move.

Old 01-02-05, 09:05 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
Welcome to the forum,

You should be able to change out the outlets with new 3 prong outlets bought at your local home improvement store. Make sure you turn the breaker off at the panel box, then remove the old outlet and replace with the new. The hot wire (usually black) will go to the brass screw, the neutral wire (usually white) will go to the silver screw and the ground wire (usually bare) will go to the grounding screw (usually green). I would recommend buying the outlets that have screws instead of the stab holes in the rear they are of better quality and make for better connections.

I say all of this assumming that you have modern wiring in your house. I hope it helps.

Maybe one of the professional electricians on here can add something but if not, your local Home Depot should be able to tell you how to DIY also.

MCMBIC

Old 01-02-05, 09:10 PM
LiquidOps
Visiting Guest
I don't have modern wiring...

I have two wires running to the current outlets

Old 01-02-05, 09:18 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
Is there a third wire (bare) behind the outlet inside the box, possibly wire nutted to another bare wire?

MCMBIC

Old 01-02-05, 09:20 PM
LiquidOps
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by MCMBIC
Is there a third wire (bare) behind the outlet inside the box, possibly wire nutted to another bare wire?

MCMBIC
Negative...

I already looked

Old 01-02-05, 09:38 PM
MCMBIC
Visiting Guest
I guess you will need to try what John suggested, I'm fresh out of answers. Sorry.

MCMBIC

Old 01-03-05, 03:19 PM
If you have no ground present then you need to run a new cable back the the service panel. You also need to check you r service panel to make sure it is grounded properly.
You can either replace the existing receptalces or leave them and just add the new grounded receptacles.