Junction boxes and service panels

Old 01-02-05, 09:20 PM
Junction boxes and service panels

Two questions:

#1. Is it either poor practice or a code violation to pass wires right through a junction box without cutting and joining them with wire nuts? i.e. If I have enough wire can I just keep feeding it to the destination without cutting and making "a junction."

Not a big deal either way, just curious.

#2. Is it either poor practice or a code violation to either use a service/breaker panel box for junctions (using wire nuts) or to use that box to pass through other wires, for example switched runs, in order to minimize extraneous conduit runs.

Previous owner (I swear!) had some goings-on in my service box and I want to minimize distractions during the upcoming new work inspection.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 09:37 PM
(1) Yes, you can pass them right on through.

(2) It's not a code violation. As to poor practice, some say yes, some say no. Do what you want. Don't make so many connection that the box gets crowded.

In both cases, however, it's better not to run wires to where you don't need them if possible. And if you get too many wires in the same conduit (more than 9 current carrying conductors), ampacity derating starts to eat you alive.

Old 01-03-05, 03:24 PM
If you are in Canada
#2 IS a code violation.

Old 01-03-05, 06:04 PM
Thanks Joe for the clarification. Can you explain exactly what the CEC says about this situation?

Old 01-04-05, 05:32 PM
Can explain exactly but it goes somelthing like you can't use a panel as a junction box. You can get away with extending a wire that is too short to reach a breaker but not as a pass though junction box.