Too many wires, not enough Screws!

Old 01-03-05, 06:33 AM
Exclamation Too many wires, not enough Screws!

I hope someone can understand this.
One Box, with one On/Off switch that Powers the Fan part of the ceiling fan, one more switch that powers the Light part of the ceiling fan.
There's four total grouping of wires, power in, power out, and power for both functions of the ceiling fan.

The switch that leads to the fan part of the ceiling fan has two Black/Hot wires attacheed to ONE screw! From reading other posts, I heard that is a No, No. What do I do, I have also notice other recetiples in my house have two wires attached to one screw, and I want to fix them.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 06:39 AM
Anytime you need to attach more than one wire to a screw, the solution is a wire nut and a pigtail. A pigtail is a short segment of wire (3 to 6 inches) of the same color and size as the other wires which runs from the wire nut to the screw. The wire nut secures all the wires to the pigtail.

Old 01-03-05, 06:48 AM
Does this sound right?
So, group the two Black/Hot wires together, and the 3" Black wire with a wing nut, and then attach the 3" wire to the switch? How many wire can I wing nut together?

Old 01-03-05, 06:59 AM
Wire nut, not wing nut.

They sell various sizes of color-coded wire nuts. The two most commonly used are yellow and red. The packaging tells you how many wires of each size it can handle. But there's usually no problem nutting together up to five. If you need more (unlikely), you can use multiple wire nuts with jumpers between them.

Old 01-03-05, 03:12 PM
You will need 2 pigtails. One for each switch, unless this is a double switch in one assy.