Cable sharing wall/floor cavity with water pipes?

Old 01-03-05, 07:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cable sharing wall/floor cavity with water pipes?

Hi,

Can a cable (in this case a 6/3 feeder fused 60A for an upstairs subpanel in my house) share a wall cavity with water, gas and drain pipes? How about a floor cavity? The situation is, I'm having an upstairs room converted to a bathroom. To get the pipes up through the first floor, they have been run inside the first floor room (an inch or so from the wall) and then enclosed with a framed bulkhead. This was the easiest way to get the pipes up as this is a 100 year old brick rowhouse.

Anyway so now that there is a convenient path from basement to 2nd floor for the pipes, can I also run the subpanel feeder cable in this bulkhead? And once into the floor upstairs, the pipes supply a toilet directly above the bulkhead and then run across the room (in the floor cavity) to a shower. Can I run the feeder cable in that floor cavity?

I have not been able to find information regarding proximity of water and gas pipes to electrical cables in my several books on the subject.

Thanks!
Andy

Old 01-03-05, 08:01 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes to all your questions.

Because pipes sometimes sweat, it's best if the cables don't actually touch the pipes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: